Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Alves gives his verbal commitment to South Alabama for 2013, two more joins the list


South Alabama Jaguars received another commitment from a Florida wide receiver/safety.

Caleb Alves
Caleb Alves, a wide receiver-safety at Palm Bay Senior High School in Melbourne, Fla., said he intends to sign a grant-in-aid with South Alabama as part of its 2013 signing class in February.

"It wasn't too far from home and I liked the area and the school," Alves said. "That's what really triggered me to commit there."

Alves a 6’2, 185lbs chose South Alabma over seven other schools that had interest and offers such as Memphis, Florida International, Florida Atlantic, Massachusetts, Bowling Green, Bethune-Cookman and Florida A&M.

"Another reason I made my choice now is to focus on the upcoming season at Palm Bay," Alves said.

He said he was also pleased to be part of a young program that is moving to full Football Bowl Subdivision membership next season.

"I had over 1,000 yards receiving as a sophomore," said Alves. "I'm not sure my stats from my junior season. I play basketball as well and average about 18 points per game. I'd like to try playing both sports in college. Football is my favorite sport though."

JUCO  Players commit to South Alabama as well

Two JUCO players recently gave their verbal commitment to the Jags; running back Justin Jones of Northeast Mississippi Community College and free safety Terrell Pinson 6’3 200lb of Itawamba, Miss., Community College. Jones, a 5’9, 180lb, rushed for 920 yards last season and also caught 27 passes.

Pinson played as a wide receiver last season but is moving to the secondary this year, which is where he will likely play for the Jags.

South Alabama is well into recruiting for 2013 the signing class is filling fast with great talent and size for a team that really needs it.